By Marit Weisenberg
This is Book #2 of The Select series. Readers should read Book #1, SELECT, first.
After rejecting the cult-like influence of her father’s family, Julia moves into a fancy hotel in downtown Austin. But she finds herself alone except for her boyfriend, John–and her fears. Once again she’s suppressing her abilities, afraid her family will come for John when they find out he’s been developing abilities of his own in her presence. The FBI is also keeping a close eye on Julia hoping she can lead them to her father, Novak, as he’s wanted for questioning in his former assistant’s death.
With tensions high, Julia and John agree to go separate ways for the summer, paving the way for Julia to reunite with Angus, a fellow outcast. Together they set out on a road trip to California to find Julia’s mom and a way into Novak’s secret underground world. Along the way, Julia will learn the Puri perhaps aren’t the only humans evolving into something different. . . and that maybe she’s the leader her people have needed all along.
This is a fun fantasy read and I would recommend it. The story is unique and interesting. It is well written in a style that is easy to read and keeps you interested. Thanks to NetGalley for an advance copy of this book.
Ten Things about Marit Weisenberg.
1. I live in Austin, TX with my husband and two daughters where we love to hike across the greenbelt for breakfast tacos.
2. My first name is Norwegian, pronounced maa-RIHT. I’m only a quarter Norwegian but my parents really decided to commit. My sister’s name is Kjersti.
3. I’ve retold a PG-13 version of Game of Thrones for my kids, roughly covering all seven seasons. It took a couple of weeks and I’m realizing there are still subplots left.
4. I love nice clothing but spend most of my days wearing workout gear and never bothering to change.
5. I’m a native Northern Californian and I grew up in Silicon Valley before it became the Silicon Valley it is today.
6. From California, I went to Bowdoin College in Maine and was stunned to experience a true winter for the first time.
7. I have a master’s degree from UCLA in Cinema and Media Studies and worked in development at production companies on the Warner Brothers, Disney and Universal lots. If you ask me which my favorite was, I think I would say Warner Brothers–I’ll never forget seeing all six of the ‘Friends’ on one golf cart. But the Disney Commissary had the best food.
8. We are on the waitlist for a golden doodle puppy and I know my life is about to change.
9. I’ve always known I wanted to be a writer–from making up stories with my toys, to secretly writing a romance novel with my friend during high school Latin class.
10. I love to read–especially YA. I love powerful girls and anything having to do with first love.
Available from: www.kobo.com, www.amazon.ca
www.amazon.com, www.indigo.ca and other fine bookstores