SAVE THE DATE! 8th Annual Walk Roll Run Sunday, October 26, 2014 Registration opening soon!
18th Annual Active Living Conference Promoting access, awareness & adapted activities.
November 7, 2014 10:00am – 4:00 pm Variety Village
Register Now! Delegates & Presenters Registration Form (Accessible Version)
The Variety Village Athletic Club (VVAC).
Variety Village Rolling Rebels
Variety Village is proud to be the home of seven sport teams, all part of the Variety Village Athletic Club (VVAC). The VVAC gives children of all abilities the chance to be active, competitive and discover their potential.
The benefits of competing in integrated sport teams are many: developing both muscle and self-esteem, learning coordination, making new friends, and learning to see abilities and not disabilities.Since 1982, the teams of the VVAC have provided the perfect training ground for athletes who go on to compete at Paralympic, Special Olympic and Olympic games. Variety Village athletes attend regular competitions both at Variety Village and at locations across Ontario, Canada and North America.
Variety Village’s “Wall of Fame” pays tribute to some of the teams’ most accomplished alumni. They include:
- Jeff Tiessen, world record holder and two-time Paralympic medalist in the 400-metre track event
- Jeff Adams, four-time Paralympian and Olympian who has attained world records in the 400-metre, 800-metre and 1,500-metre track events
- Tracey Ferguson, member of the Canadian women’s wheelchair basketball team, four-time Paralympic medalist (three gold), and the first woman with a disability to receive an athletic scholarship to the University of Illinois
- Anné Polinario, former member of the Variety Village Flames swim team, and five-time medal winner at the 2004 Paralympic Games in Athens
- Bradley Bowden, Paralympian, wheelchair basketball, gold medal at 2004 Paralympics in Athens, sledge hockey, gold medal at 2006 Paralympics in Turin
- Adam Lancia, Paralympian, wheelchair basketball, gold medal at 2004 Paralympics in Athens * Kaley McLean, Paralympian, swimming, 2004 Paralympics in Athens.
For more information on any of these events or programs, please visit ~ http://www.varietyvillage.ca