This summer my family and I embarked on a new fun outdoor activity, we added a pool to our backyard. Summer time is such a wonderful time of year, with this new season comes many outdoor fun enjoyments. One of the adventurous activities we all can participate in is swimming. No matter what stage of life you are in this is one of the universal sports we can all enjoy. As with any sport, there are some rules and precautions that everyone should consider and keep in mind.
With three children, for my family safety was a priority. The first thing we did was invest in a gate around the pool that you may attach and un-attach, when you are having a party etc.. Secondly, we installed alarms on the doors throughout the house to forewarn us if anyone goes outside. Third was to install reverse side gate latches so you have to be inside the gate to open them.
First and foremost, no matter what you do, you should always watch your children when they are in or near the pool.
As a precaution, the more safety tips and rules that will help facilitate a safe environment.
- Teach your children safety rules around the pool.
- Keep children away from pool drains, pipes, and other openings.
- Have a phone close by at all times.
- If child is missing, always look in pool or spa first.
- Make sure everyone in the family knows how to swim.
- Share safety tips with family and friends who visit.
- Learn CPR and update your skills regularly
- Understand basic life-saving skills
The best thing a family with a pool can do is ultimately invest in swimming lessons for your child. If money allows check local community centres such as the YMCA to see if affordable courses are available. As you would teach a child to put on a seat belt when in a car, teaching your child basic water safety skills is essential.